Reason 95 Why Final Fantasy 6 is the Most Awesome: Ultros
Ultros is a recurring bad guy in Final Fantasy VI. He is a delusional, carnivorous octopus. He’s not all bad, though. He tells cheesy jokes and hits on female party members. People like him so much they do cross stitches with him in them. He’s so loved, he is going to appear DLC in Final Fantasy XIII-2. A much cuter version of him is also in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.
In fact, he appears in a lot of other Final Fantasy games.
- What a delicious morsel! I wanna get my tentacles around her…! (about to attack Terra)
- Gwee-hee-hee… You’re up the creek without a paddle! And I’m not gonna let you through! … Does that make me a bad octopus?
- Uwee hee hee… Game over!
- Yaaaouch! Seafood soup! (after being burned)
- Seafood soup is NOT on the menu! (an alternate version to the above line in FFVI Advance)
- Muscle heads? Hate ’em! (referring to Sabin)
- Uh, well, Mom always said I was a slow learner… but I eat FAST!!
- Oh, all right, Uncle Ulty REALLY wants you to paint his portrait!
- Silence Knave! You are in the presence of octopus royalty! A lowborn thug like you could never defeat me!
- I have more lives than I do arms!
- Well, whadduya want I should do?
- I’m nothing more than a stupid octopus! (After seeing his portrait)
- Look at me! I’m a receptionist! G’fa, ha, ha! (in the Colosseum in the World of Ruin)
- Imp! Pal! Buddy! (about to use his “Imp Song” spell)
- I owe you one, so I’m gonna jam up your opera! (in a letter at the Opera House)
- Mwa ha ha! Let’s see if Maria can shrug THIS off!
- Long time no see! You’ve changed! Did ya miss me?
- I ain’t no garden-variety octopus!
- Don’t tease the octopus, kids!
- N’ghaaa! This is heavier than I thought! It’ll take me 5 minutes to drop it! (referring to the four-ton weight in the opera scene)
- You must hate it when I show up…Too bad!
- You called?
- Havin’ fun yet?
- Thwarted again! I feel like such a sucker. Well, kids, hate to ink and run…… but I AM an octopus!
- You know, just the other day I was taking a snooze, when he came along and decided to start gnawing on my head. Let me tell ya, the guy’s got sharp teeth! (Referring to Typhon)
- I’d try not to make him mad… He gets hungry when he’s irritated. (Referring to Typhon)
- He’s not so great with words, but his strength’ll blow you away! Heh-heh… (Referring to Typhon)
- Looks like I lose again! But today I brought along a buddy of mine! Mr. Typhon! Come on down!!! (Referring to Typhon)
- I know what you’re thinking… “Man, that was cheap”! So sorry, so sorry…
(after casting two spells at once in the Esper Mines)
I’ve been replaying Final Fantasy III (VI) on the SNES and have decided to document 100 different ways how VI is better than any of the Final Fantasys released in recent years. I think I can come up with 100. If not, I’ll just unceremoniously end this segment.