Arkanoid: Doh It Again Review
– I’m probably not going to finish this game, there are 99 stages and sitting through just one is pretty painful
– The intro has a surprising amount of story:
– You control a ship called “Vaus”, it’s not just a paddle
– “DOH” is the moah-like bad guy
– You’re somehow saving the day by bouncing a ball into bricks
– This is pretty hard sci-fi
– It’s a Breakout-style game, with boss fights
I only reached stage 5 before giving up, I don’t have the patience for this style of game anymore (I don’t know if I ever really did). I feel like you just don’t have enough control of where the ball goes and I’m just waiting for it to randomly hit the last block. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, I don’t know or care really.
I have much fonder memories of the original Arkanoid. There was one in the Pizza Hut we would sometimes go to and I really enjoyed playing it. Maybe it was because, at the time, I had pretty limited access to games so playing anything new was a treat. It was a cocktail arcade machine like this one:
I’m trying to play through my old backlog of SNES games and write brief notes as I go along, then giving the game a score once I’m finished. I’ll try to keep the reviews within the context of the time, which can be difficult given the fact that it’s now 20+ years later. I’m playing them all on the original hardware and not through emulation.